Sunday 1 June 2008

Home-Made Cheeseburgers

We've had a lazy day today, basking in the sunshine at home. The old tan is definitely well topped up now.

Home-made cheeseburgers were the order of the day. There was half a pound of lean mince-steak in the fridge. Generally speaking, it's never minced finely enough for hamburgers. In my experience the burger falls apart in places. So, the secret is to put the mince-steak in to a food processor along with seasoning, tomato purée and garlic; mince it all up finely for fifteen or twenty seconds; then shape your burger. This technique always works without fail.

I made a smaller one for the Dowager and a more substantial one for myself with lettuce, tomato, a slice of cheese, coleslaw, oven chips and onion rings.

By the way, the burgers stayed together completely.

2 comments :

Barry R McCain said...

Well, I could help you out quite a bit with that burger. The whole she-bang depends on where you buy the ground beef, has to be the good stuff. Grass fed Black Angus a good starting point, then cooked on an oak wood fire.

I am in the wooded hills of north Mississippi, I grill often, I will be bold enough to say I am good at the deed. Would love to barbecue you and yours a few burgers sometime. I will be over in a couple weeks, I am to speak at the Ulster American History Symposium, in Castletown, Tyrone in late June. I am one of those Mississippi McCains, our race from northwest Antrim.

Look my blogs up sometime when you have a moment or three.

I enjoyed yours.

Barry R McCain
Oxford Mississippi

Timothy Belmont said...

Hallo Barry,

Good to hear from you and that you've come across my blog!

I'll certainly read your blog: which one? I see you have several :-)

Tim