Thursday 17 July 2008

Figaro Singing In The Rain

Yesterday evening at the annual "Summer Big Screen" operatic event in Botanic Gardens, Belfast, was yet another washout. It was still dry when I left home; however, shortly after my arrival and just after I'd set up camp in a strategic position, it began to rain steadily for the next two and a half hours.

Imagine the scenario: seated on a picnic chair clutching a cumbersome umbrella, endeavouring to balance a glass of wine in one hand whilst grasping a sandwich in another. I eventually donned the Peter Storm gear and I stayed largely dry; only my shoes were damp. It was cold though.

My picnic was good. I'd bought a round of Tesco Finest salmon and cream cheese sandwiches, and a round of Finest ham & chutney; finished off with a raspberry panna cotta pudding. A mini bottle of bubbly completed the experience.

The opera itself was well up to Royal Opera standards: a great cast, fine acting and singing, wonderful props and orchestra.

I decided to pack up at the interval. Unlike the Irrepressible and the Intrepid, I wished to get home, shed my wet clothing and dry off.

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

I lol-ed at those crazy toffs watching the opera on the big screen in the pouring rain!

Opera is a painful enough entertainment at home watching TV let alone on a big scree with no remote control :-)

Timothy Belmont said...

You know what they say, poster: "An opera a day keeps the riff-raff away". The more elitism the better. :-)

Anonymous said...

Tim, as a sandwich lover I hope you were watching Channel 4's Dispatches program tonight. Quite horrified to see what is really in our "healthy" sarnies!

Timothy Belmont said...

Hello Mike,
Sadly I missed it. I was watching BBC Two. So many good programmes clash; I'd like to have seen it.

Tim