Saturday 27 December 2008

Killynether, Island Hill And Newtownards


I lit a fire this morning. I used the logs which I'd collected from the barn the last time I was at Minnowburn. A large sack lasts no time at all; three fires if you're lucky.

We jumped in to the two-seater later on and headed for Killynether Wood, near Scrabo in County Down. The views from Scrabo and Killynether, looking out over the rolling drumlins towards Strangford Lough are wonderful. I walked through the magical woods to the site where we had been coppicing and lit a bonfire several weeks ago. I passed a fine example of chain-saw wood art along the way.

We drove on to Island Hill for ten minutes, before motoring in to the market town of Newtownards, where I made a brief foray into Warden's department store. On the way home we stopped off at the ASDA petrol station, where I filled up the tank at 85.9 pence per litre.

No comments :