Saturday 5 December 2009

Tree Installed

This morning I unearthed our Christmas tree from the basement and, generating a modicum of effort, manhandled it to its customary position in the living-room. Amen! The lights are all working. The decorations are all up in the attic, so that shall be the next job.

I'm still interested in writing an article about Stuart Hall in County Tyrone ( I mentioned it on the blower last night to Richard, a fellow-NT Volunteer - and hastened to add that I alluded to the country house, not the It's A Knockout compere).

When I was talking to Lord Castle Stewart this morning he suggested that the local post office in Stewartstown had a few picture post-cards and things about the Hall. I must make a point of paying Stewartstown a visit; I cannot recall ever having been there.

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

Ah, do you know Arthur CS? As a teenager I would've bumped into his son occasionally at parties, I think he lives in Somerset now, haven't seen him in years.

W.

Timothy Belmont said...

I don't know him, W. We spoke on the blower for a good while this morning. I'd actually returned his call, as he'd tried to call me on Friday; though I'd left a message earlier in the week!

I know he has a place at the Barbican in London; but he's in NI presently!

I expressed my interest in Stuart Hall and I've written to him today. Don't know how "au fait" he is woth the Web, though I did tell him about my blog!

I gather that his son, Lord Stuart, has separated from his wife and that they have one daughter. I wonder if he visits NI...

Timothy Belmont said...

I've found a picture of Stuart Hall! I hope to be able to publish it shortly.

Tim

Anonymous said...

When was the hall bombed?

You should run up a list of all the big houses and castles destroyed by the IRA from the 1920s.

That Charlemont place was some size.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't aware Stuart Hall ever was burnt out.

W.

Timothy Belmont said...

Afraid so, W.

Burke's Guide to country houses:

"The House was bombed c1974 and subsequently demolished".

There must be a modern house there now.

Tim