Saturday 9 August 2014

Steinway Model D-274


I enjoyed a splendid concert at Belfast's Ulster Hall last night, as part of the BBC's summer series for Radio 3.

Earlier I found a parking space at the beginning of Brunswick Street, adjacent to Deane's Restaurant.

I enjoyed an "Early Bird" meal at the Grill Bar of James Street South Restaurant, which is at the corner of James Street South and Brunswick Street.


The music, soloist and conductor were all Scandinavian, viz. Niklas Willén, the conductor; Christian Ihle Hadland, pianist; and music by Grieg, Tellefsen, and Alfvén.

The Hall was almost full and I managed to get my usual seat on the balcony overlooking the double bassists.


It's always a joy to watch this mighty instrument disappearing into the basement on the stage during the inrterval.

Does the Ulster Orchestra possess the same Steinway Concert Grand piano, the model D-274, that I wrote about five years ago?

The Orchestra's piano was most generously funded five years ago by a local charity called Ulster Garden Villages.

Similar Model D-274 pianos cost approximately £100,000 in 2009.

Steinway and Sons hold a royal warrant.

No comments :